In 1907 Alonzo Roberson Jr., finished construction on his large Italian renaissance revival styled mansion that had taken him three years to build. The home, built along the prestigious Front Street and Riverside Drive area of Binghamton, included an elevator, central heat, combination gas and electric lighting fixtures, and a dumb waiter.
At the time of his death, Alonzo willed his home to the city to be used as an educational facility. In 1954 the mansion became the Roberson Memorial Center. Over the next half-century, The Roberson Museum and Science Center has transformed and expended into a regional educational facility.
However, over the years, visitors and staff have reported a number of chilling experiences. Some of these stories seem to indicate that Mr. Roberson may still oversee the day-to-day operations of his former home.
In this web exclusive clip, Professor Tucker, a folklorist at Binghamton University, discuses some of the historical events that have influenced Southern Tier ghost stories.
Photograph courtesy of the Broome County Historical Society.