Education Advisory Committee
According to Part 179 of New York State Department of Education’s ‘Apportionment of Funds to Educational Broadcast Councils’, section 179.5 states that public broadcasting stations shall host ‘Educational Telecommunications services committee’ to address the following:
(C1) Needs identification
(C2) Program implementation
(C3) Program/Service evaluation
(C4) Service evaluation
(C5) Communicate program concerns
Meetings of WSKG’s Education Advisory Committee are held at WSKG, 601 Gates Road Vestal, NY 13850. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 10th, 2017 at 11:30am.
The following are bylaws adopted by the Education Advisory Committee of WSKG:
This organization shall be called the WSKG Education Advisory Committee (EAC).
The organizational year shall be August 1st through July 31st with the first meeting held in October. The committee shall determine the meeting schedule for the subsequent year at the final meeting of current year. No fewer than three (3) meetings shall be held during the organizational year. Additional meetings may be added during the year when a specific need arises.
Meeting notices will be issued from the WSKG Education & Outreach Department.
The EAC shall be responsible for serving the BOCES regions of Broome-Delaware-Tioga, Greater Southern Tier, Tompkins-Seneca-Tioga, Delaware-Chenango-Madison-Otsego, Otsego-Delaware-Schoharie-Greene, and PA Intermediate Units 17 and 19.
The EAC shall be responsible for promoting quality instructional resources and media, identifying school needs, promoting programs and use of educational technology, helping with evaluations of WSKG services, and exchanging outreach and program information.
Role of Members
The role of members of the EAC shall be to strengthen WSKG’s Educational Services in the following ways:
- Advise WSKG concerning the needs of the districts regarding instructional resources and media.
- Attend at least two (2) meetings per year of the EAC.
- Promote the use of WSKG’s instructional media and education/outreach services throughout the broadcast region.
- Advise WSKG of school staff size, student enrollment, school calendar, class schedules, TV reception, and distribution facilities.
- Participate in planning new services for educators and learners in the region.
- Advise WSKG on ways to address the region’s stated educational needs.
To further responsibilities of an EAC Representative, the following guidelines may prove helpful. It is important that EAC members inform their faculties of the role for involvement between the school district and WSKG. To establish lines of communications with teachers.
The committee shall include the counties of Broome, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Otsego, Schoharie, Schuyler, Steuben, Tioga, and Tompkins. In addition, the committee will also feature representation from non-public schools of the region and from PA public school system.
Members shall include representation from a variety of constituencies within education such as:
- Adult/Family Literacy Educators
- Advocates for Learners with Disabilities
- Child Care Professionals
- Community Organizations
- Educational Administrators
- Educational Technology & Media Specialists
- Home Schools
- K-12 Teachers
- Museums & Cultural Organizations
- Parents of School-Age Children
- Post-Secondary Education
- Pre-K Teachers
- Pre-Service Teachers
- Regional Education Entities
- Special Education
- Staff of the Education Department of WSKG will serve as ex-officio members of the committee.
The members of the committee shall determine representatives.
Officers and Terms
The officers of this committee shall be the Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson.
- Each officer shall be elected to a two-year term of office.
- An officer shall be eligible to succeed himself for one term of office.
- The Chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the committee.
- The Chairperson will be elected by a vote from a list of candidates nominated by the EAC at the last meeting of the year. If there is more than one candidate the vote will be written by ballot.
- The Chairperson shall inform the EAC if he or she is willing to serve another term.
- The Vice-Chairperson shall, in the absence of the Chairperson, perform all of the duties of that office.
- The Vice-Chairperson will be elected by vote from a list of candidates nominated by the EAC at the last meeting of the year. The vote will be by written ballot if there is more than one candidate.
- The Vice-Chairperson will succeed the Chairperson and will serve as Education Fund Coordinator during his or her term.
- Officers will be installed effective July 1st of the year of election.
- At the final meeting of each school year, members will be queried as to whether or not they will continue serving on the EAC.
Amendments to these bylaws shall be proposed at a regularly scheduled meeting of the EAC and shall be considered for adoption at the next regularly scheduled meetings. A two-thirds majority of the membership present, provided there is a quorum as provided in Section 9 of these bylaws, shall be sufficient to adopt the proposed amendments.
Conduct of Business
- The business of the EAC shall be conducted at regularly scheduled and special meetings.
- Meetings may be conducted using telephone, teleconference, or any appropriate technology.
- One more than one-third of the members shall constitute a quorum.
- No business shall be conducted without a quorum.
- At the beginning of each meeting, a member of the committee shall be chosen as recording secretary.
Current members of WSKG’s Education Advisory Committee are as follows:
Andrea Decker, Roberson Museum & Sciencenter
Cheri Panko, Teacher Center of Broome County
Jackie Stapleton, WSKG Public Media
Jane Walker-Lloyd, Downsville Central Schools
Jennifer Kazmark, Union-Endicott School District
Jenny Dean, Greater Southern Tier BOCES
Jenny Gordon, Graduate School of Education at Binghamton University
Marlene Schwartz-Patrick, Early Childhood Center at JCC (CHAIR)
Mary Ann Karre, School Librarian Association of the Southern Tier East
Mary Kay Welgoss, Tompkins-Seneca-Tioga BOCES
Melissa Woodruff, Broome-Tioga BOCES
Nicole Waskie-Laura, Broome-Tioga BOCES
Rachel Rissberger, Oneonta World of Learning
Sarah Reid, Four County Public Library System
Tim Conner, State University of New York at Cortland
Questions about WSKG’s Education Advisory Committee may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 607.729.0100 x369.