Thanks for your interest in working with WSKG. Check out our current open positions below by clicking on the tab on the left to display the open position descriptions.
WSKG President and CEO
WSKG Public Telecommunications Council is seeking its next President and CEO. WSKG is a community licensed regional network of one television station and two radio stations serving 21 counties and 330,000 households in the Southern Tier of New York and the Northern Tier of Pennsylvania. WSKG operates two distinct radio content format streams (news/talk, and classical/folk/jazz) and broadcasts four digital television multicast services (WSKG HD, Create, World, and PBS Kids).
With approximately 40 employees and an annual operating budget of $5.4 million, the organization’s revenue has grown steadily, by more than 30%, over the last decade. Steeped in a culture of innovation and experimentation, WSKG works to serve its communities through a focus on content creation in the areas of local and national news, arts, history, science, and youth content. Find out more about WSKG by visiting http://www.wskg.org.
WSKG’s main facility is located in the Greater Binghamton area, within the Southern Tier of New York State. Greater Binghamton, marked by forested rolling hills and river valleys, offers housing in urban, suburban, and rural settings. Located at the confluence of the Susquehanna and Chenango Rivers, the area’s numerous state and county parks invite outdoor recreation, such as hiking, skiing and biking. Its diverse agriculture and horticulture industries create ample agro-tourism destinations, such as farmers’ markets, wineries, farms, and gardens. Greater Binghamton’s employment base is less oriented in agriculture than it is in technology and defense manufacturing, though education and health care have emerged as vital sectors in the area’s economy.
A small city itself, Binghamton is home to Binghamton University, SUNY Broome Community College, a world-class opera company, a Philharmonic orchestra, several performing arts theatres and galleries, and two minor league sports teams. Binghamton is centrally located within an hour’s drive of the following communities:
● Ithaca, in the heart of the Finger Lakes region, and home of Cornell University and Ithaca College
● Corning, headquarters of Fortune 500 company Corning Incorporated, and home of the Corning Museum of Glass, and the Rockwell Museum
● Elmira, home of Elmira College and home of author Mark Twain
● Historic Cooperstown, home of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, The Farmers’ Museum, The Glimmerglass Opera, and the Fenimore Art Museum.
In addition to all this, Binghamton is within a three-hour drive of New York City, as well as The Adirondack Park. Significant towns and institutions in the Northern Tier of Pennsylvania served by WSKG include Sayre, with Guthrie Robert Packer Hospital, Towanda with several industries, and Mansfield with Mansfield University.
The President and CEO is responsible for overall direction and fulfillment of the mission of WSKG. They will provide organization-wide leadership and strategic focus to ensure the long-term integrity and community relevance of the station. Also responsible for reporting activity and updates to the Board of Trustees on a regular basis.
The specific responsibilities of this position include:
● Provide leadership, supervision, and guidance to all departments to ensure each department fulfills its role in contributing to the success of WSKG.
● Develop a strong management team that is committed to the success of WSKG.
● Work closely with the Board of Trustees in the fulfillment of the organization’s goals and objectives.
● Encourage discussion and feedback at all Board of Trustee meetings.
● Personify the mission of the organization and provide assurance, through exemplary leadership, that all gifts are wisely used and invested.
● Develop and sustain a culture of respect, inclusiveness, dignity, tolerance and accountability in all aspects of the organization.
● Lead efforts to invest in and deliver robust local content across all platforms; prioritize digital engagement across all content and leverage content across all platforms.
● As the Senior Development Officer, actively participate in all fundraising, including on-air, major donor, underwriting, and other community initiatives.
● Strengthen community ties by representing the station through participation in community events and organizations; increase station relevance and impact to new and diverse audiences through outreach.
● Advance the unique role of public broadcasting within the community by ensuring that integrity and credibility are always evident and that an education mindset infuses all content and services.
● Attend meetings of WSKG Community Advisory Board and WSKG Education Committee, and provide guidance and context for their suggestions and concerns.
● Expand and enhance relationships with local mission-based organizations and like-minded consumers and supporters.
● Build collaborative relationships with other broadcasting station executives, both public and commercial, to promote the exchange of ideas and progressive thinking.
● Ensure leadership development and succession planning activities occur throughout all functional areas to provide effective staffing planning for the future of the station.
The requirements of this position include:
● Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) with a concentration in an applicable field. Graduate work and/or degree desirable. In certain cases, specialized and outstanding work history may be considered in lieu of degree(s).
● A minimum of 10 years of experience in a management/supervisory position within a fundraising or non-profit environment that includes budget responsibility and supervising multiple functions and/or departments.
● Leadership skills with the ability to lead by example, build consensus, and guide a team to success. Must demonstrate a proven record of effective departmental management.
● Experience working and creating trust with a Board of Trustees.
● Proven financial/analytical experience and the ability to use financial information and analysis to aid the decision-making process.
● Ability to build strong community ties and networks.
● Strong verbal and written communication skills.
● Knowledge of the grant-writing process, and previous grant-writing experience.
WSKG has created the profile of our next leader. We will select our next President and CEO from among candidates who most closely have and demonstrate the following skills and attributes:
WSKG’s most important asset is the trust the people of the region have in WSKG as an institution and its programming. The WSKG President and CEO will:
● be an authentic, courageous, ethical person of substance with high standards for themself and others;
● understand and practice confidentiality when called for, as well as organizational and financial
transparency as appropriate;
● understand and have commitment to journalistic independence, integrity, and ethics.
A dynamic, mission-driven individual who will keep the organization improving its effectiveness in serving the people of our region and who also has the ability to keep WSKG financially sound. The successful candidate is also expected to:
● have an inclusive style, and be an effective decision-maker and change agent;
● show up – in the community, throughout the region, and with the staff;
● provide direction and accountability for organizational and staff results;
● effectively engage the Board of Trustees in carrying out the mission of WSKG.
Highly developed public and private interpersonal skills that include being:
● a skillful listener;
● an organized thinker, effective writer and speaker;
● personable, inspiring and respectful;
● an articulate, effective spokesperson for WSKG and its mission.
Team and Internal Management:
An experienced leader who enjoys working with people, has the mindset of an effective manager of operations, and:
● is committed to supervising, developing and mentoring the WSKG staff within a supportive environment;
● has an understanding of and the ability to create, foster and maintain an organizational culture that moves WSKG forward.
The successful candidate drives the organization to fulfill its vision of being a public media organization that specializes in education and compelling content experiences that help our whole community feel informed, engaged and enriched, and:
● is a big picture person, able to balance between being true to the station’s past, while moving into the future;
● balances vision with action;
● is able to engage others in working together toward the achievement of the vision.
A proactive and data-driven individual with the ability to continuously develop, execute and evaluate strategic plans in concert with other stakeholders. This includes:
● the capacity to identify, use and share critical metrics needed to measure and improve organizational effectiveness and accountability;
● the ability to understand and use networking and benchmarking to increase WSKG effectiveness.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
A thoughtful and inclusive leader who appreciates the importance of hearing all voices and encouraging new opinions from diverse groups and backgrounds. Also:
● embraces opportunities to become knowledgeable of and interact with new/diverse cultures within the community;
● understands that a focus on DEI within the staff and board is a strength that underpins organizational resilience.
An experienced fiscal manager with demonstrated knowledge of not-for-profit financial management and a deep understanding of its various and unique revenue streams, and;
● experience working with the budgeting and grant management process;
● an appreciation of the importance of nurturing endowment investments;
● an understanding of equipment accounting and depreciation.
The leader we seek will continue to grow WSKG’s presence in the region, and have the personal qualities with which the community can connect, and will:
● demonstrate a record of community engagement and collaboration that includes developing partnerships with individuals and organizations;
● be comfortable and effective with a wide range of people, and be perceived and recognized as a civic leader in the region.
An effective fundraiser with a demonstrated track record and understanding of the CEO/ED role in resource development, who:
● is a strong mission spokesperson who is comfortable asking for money for the organization;
● is aware of and can solicit financial support from local, state, national and government entities;
● has a comprehensive understanding of fundraising strategies and methods in public media and beyond;
● is able to develop WSKG’s organizational (staff and board) fundraising capacity;
● understands concepts related to capital campaigns and can provide leadership for developing and executing a campaign for WSKG;
● understands the relative importance of endowment funding in the context of annual support and is able to maintain organizational balance in efforts to generate appropriate growth in both areas;
● is creative and capable of conceiving and developing alternative revenue streams.
Will possess a strategic understanding of public media and a demonstrated passion for its mission, including being a consumer and financial supporter. The successful candidate should have:
● a grasp of the opportunities and challenges facing both public television and public radio;
● an understanding of and experience with issues related to non-profit organizations.
WSKG offers a competitive compensation package consisting of base salary and a generous benefits program. The base salary range for this position is between $145,000 and $175,000, depending on experience and qualifications.
To Apply: Submit a resume, a letter outlining your interest and fit with the position, and three professional references to: CEOSearch@wskg.org.
For best consideration, applications should be submitted as soon as possible, or by December 15, 2022. Resumes will be considered and processed on a rolling basis.
WSKG is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We welcome your interest in joining our team.
REPORTER/PRODUCER for Race and Identity Desk
WSKG is hiring a Reporter/Producer who will be responsible for producing balanced and engaging stories on issues of local and regional interest for broadcast on radio, television and web platforms in fulfillment of the station’s mission and in adherence with high journalistic and ethical standards. This position reports to the Director of News and Public Affairs Content.
WSKG is seeking applicants with a Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or a related field, professional reporting and radio broadcasting experience and expertise in voice delivery and broadcast writing. This entry level position pays $37,132, a generous benefits package and a 10% signing bonus.
Preferred candidates should have demonstrated competence with public radio style broadcast journalism, an understanding of digital and social media concepts, and a familiarity with issues, such as racial justice and housing, affecting upstate New York, in the Southern Tier, Finger Lakes, and Leatherstocking regions.
Interested candidates should send the following required documents:
- Cover letter (noting where this job announcement was found)
- Examples of work (via link is fine)
Required documents may be e-mailed to Jobs@WSKG.org; mailed to WSKG Public Media, Attn. Human Resources, 601 Gates Road, Suite 4, Vestal, New York, 13850; or faxed to 607-729-7328. For full consideration applicant materials must be submitted by 5:00 pm on September 30, 2022.
WSKG’s educational services, community engagement initiatives, television stations, radio stations, and website have a combined reach of over 600,000 people living in a 21-county area. With a focus on both local and national news, arts, history, science, and youth content, WSKG is dedicated to the community it serves, and to the pursuit of innovation and excellence. WSKG is an equal opportunity provider and employer committed to looking for all kinds of talent to build a diverse workforce.