Are you creative, outgoing, organized, with a flair for fundraising and a passion for public broadcasting?
Do you thrive on meeting goals and deadlines?
WSKG Public Media TV and Radio in Binghamton, New York, has an immediate opening for a Director of Development and Marketing. This person is the chief fundraising officer for our organization, and oversees a staff that includes major gifts, membership, planned giving, promotion, business and non-profit sponsorship, audience services and digital efforts. You should demonstrate outstanding writing and communication skills. You will work closely with all departments, the Board of Trustees, volunteers and our community partners. This person will report to the President and CEO.
The Director of Development & Marketing is responsible for the development, implementation, and oversight of fundraising initiatives to enhance net revenue for the organization, and in fulfillment of the organization’s mission, and community outreach engagement.
- Provide leadership, supervision, and guidance to the fundraising department (including major giving and membership) in order to ensure that the organization’s fundraising goals are met.
- Professionally represent WSKG within the community by participating in community events, serving on appropriate committees and volunteer organizations and otherwise advancing the unique role and importance of public media within our community.
- Work with the President & CEO, Board of Trustees, and management team to coordinate development of the overall strategic plan and events/fundraising calendar for the organization.
- Develop and monitor revenue and cost budget lines within areas of responsibility. As financial issues arise, provide solutions and alternatives to those issues.
- Ensure articulation of the organization’s desired image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
- Responsible for the editorial direction of the organization’s publications (i.e. the Annual Report), donor communication and viewer/listener communication.
- Continually monitor and review all fundraising activities, including production fundraising, and provide leadership and guidance for any necessary modifications to current initiatives as well as new initiatives.
- Prepare any necessary internal and external reports regarding development activities.
- Actively participate in on-air fundraising.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS) with a concentration in non-profit administration, business, public relations, public policy or related field.
- At least five years of experience in a management/supervisory position within a fundraising environment that included budget line responsibility.
- A proven track record of fundraising success and goal achievement.
- Proven financial/analytical experience and the ability to use financial information and analysis to aid the decision-making process.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to lead a team to project completion or a department to general success.
- Advanced degree in a related field.
- Experience managing a major giving initiative.
- Established community relationships with media, businesses, community groups and local government, or the demonstrated ability to build such relationships quickly.
- Non-profit experience.
Scope of Interactions
Internal: Continual contact with employees at all levels requiring strong leadership and communication skills in order to motivate departments and individuals to complete projects and meet deadlines in fulfillment of the organization’s fundraising initiatives.
External: Extensive, complex contact with numerous outside contacts requiring high levels of professionalism, polish, courtesy and tact in order to best represent the organization and move forward to achieve objectives.
Direction of others: Extensive direct and indirect supervision of departments and individuals.
Direction received: Reports directly to the President & CEO and receives guidance regarding overall strategic plan and desired outcomes. General strategies as well as specific methods to achieve results are usually left to the discretion of the Director of Development & Marketing.
Interested candidates should send the following required documents:
- Cover letter (noting where this job announcement was found)
- Three professional references with contact information
Required documents may be e-mailed to Jobs@WSKG.org; or mailed to: WSKG Public Media, Attn. Kim Pesko, Human Resources, 601 Gates Road, Suite 4, Vestal, New York, 13850. WSKG is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
WSKG Public Telecommunications Council, is a private non-profit corporation chartered by the Board of Regents of the State University of New York in association with the New York State Department of Education, and provides a public educational telecommunications service under the governance of a Board of Trustees which is selected from the communities served by the station. WSKG operates four TV channels (PBS, PBS Kids, World, Create) and two radio channels (WSKG and WSQX) with NPR that cover 21 counties in New York and Pennsylvania. For more information, visit www.wskg.org.