WSKG Public Media TV and Radio in Binghamton, New York, has an immediate opening for a Major Gifts Officer. This person is responsible for ensuring that the organization’s systems and procedures support major gift cultivation and retention. It will be the efforts you undertake planning, coordinating, and implementing major donor activities that develop donors and contributions in support of WSKG. Under your care, accountability and compliance standards for donors and funding will be maintained. You will report to the Director of Development and Marketing and work closely with development and marketing staff to enhance all aspects of fundraising.
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for the development, implementation, and oversight of major gift giving, and cultivating relationships with major donors. Plus, other fundraising initiatives in fulfillment of the organization’s mission, and community outreach engagement. This position will:
- Work with development staff to develop a balanced major donor strategy tailored to the needs of the organization that will enable it to attract, retain and motivate major donors.
- Cultivate relationships necessary to attract and maintain major donors.
- Ensure attainment of the organization’s major donor activities and goals.
- Work with appropriate WSKG departments to secure information that supports fundraising efforts.
- Work with the Development Committee of the Board of Trustees to facilitate the optimum interaction between trustees and major donors.
- Perform other duties and complete special projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, psychology or related field preferred.
- Two years of professional work experience.
- Ability to understand the needs and interests of leadership and major gift donors in order to develop relationships between them and the organization.
- Proficiency with various computer software packages, including Word, Excel, and Google Docs.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, writing and telephone skills.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, meet deadlines and be self-directed while maintaining excellent quality.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and implementing a comprehensive major gifts program and producing charitable contributions.
- Knowledge and experience in the following areas: the nature and dimensions of philanthropy, motivations for giving, research and cultivation practices, standard fundraising techniques including face-to-face solicitation, and development office functions including gift processing, prospect and donor histories, and fundraising reporting.
- Demonstrated experience and confidence in asking people to contribute time and money.
- Advanced degree in a related field.
- Established community relationships with media, businesses, community groups and local government.
Interested candidates should send the following required documents:
- Cover letter (noting where this job announcement was found)
- Three professional references with contact information
Required documents may be e-mailed to Jobs@WSKG.org; or mailed to: WSKG Public Media, Attn. Kim Pesko, Human Resources, 601 Gates Road, Suite 4, Vestal, New York, 13850. WSKG is an equal opportunity provider and employer.
WSKG Public Telecommunications Council, is a private non-profit corporation chartered by the Board of Regents of the State University of New York in association with the New York State Department of Education, and provides a public educational telecommunications service under the governance of a Board of Trustees which is selected from the communities served by the station. WSKG operates four TV channels (PBS, PBS Kids, World, Create) and two radio channels (WSKG and WSQX) with NPR that cover 21 counties in New York and Pennsylvania. For more information, visit www.wskg.org.