The Connect: NY series explores statewide issues of critical importance with monthly, one-hour panel discussions about education issues including: Common Core standards, teacher evaluation, school financing, achievement gaps, testing and opting out, and legal challenges.
This episode focuses on the funding of New York’s schools. We visit a school in the Utica Central School District and speak with its superintendent as well as teachers. The program will also focus on the methods our state uses to finance education.
Guests who will join State Education Commissioner MaryEllen Elia and host Susan Arbetter include:
- Dr. Rick Timbs is Executive Director of the Statewide School Finance consortium
- Andy Pallotta is Executive Vice President of New York State United Teachers
- Michelle Brantner is the Superintendent of the Moravia Central Schools in upstate New York
- Suzanne Slack, Chief Financial Officer of the Syracuse City School District
- David Flatley is the Superintendent of the Carle Place School District on Long Island
The show aims to give stakeholders across New York State a better understanding of education issues. Connect: NY is produced by WCNY (Syracuse, NY), and WSKG TV will air this education series throughout 2016.
This episode of Connect: NY will air on WSKG TV February 8th at 9:00 p.m. It will also air on on WSQX Radio at noon on February 13th.