In 1791, Joseph Beebe, his wife Rhoda and brother-in-law Amos Todd, paddled up the Tioughnioga River from Windsor, to settle in Lot no. 42 in the Central New York Military Tract. After building a temporary log cabin, the men returned to Windsor for provisions, leaving Rhoda to fend for herself for several months in the isolated wilderness.
Soon a village and a new county – both named Cortland, in honor of Pierre Van Cortlandt, the first lieutenant governor of New York State – were established. Incorporated as a city in 1900, Cortland is located in the geographic heart of the state.
Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development.