In the early 1900s, industrialist George F. Johnson built a home for his secretary, Julia Bowes, and her husband Alphonsus, across from his home in the village of Endicott in Broome County. This graceful house remained a private residence for the next three decades before its transformation into Colonial Hall — the administrative offices for the Triple Cities College, an adjunct campus of Syracuse University in 1946. The college moved to Vestal in the late 1950s and evolved into Binghamton University.
In the early 1990s, the home was transformed into the Endicott Visitor Center as part of the Susquehanna Heritage Area. With its exhibits focusing on the industrial heritage of the birth of Endicott Johnson Shoe Corporation and IBM in Endicott, and a large meeting and banquet room, the Endicott Visitor Center is one of many important stops along New Yorks Path Through History.
Photos Courtesy of:
The Broome County Historical Society
The Endicott Visitors Center