In Ontario County, the Pulteney Associates began a new settlement in 1786 on the former Seneca village of Kandesaga. Named Geneva, the settlement became the headquarters of the New York Genessee Land Company whose purpose was to bring in new settlers from the Northeastern states. Some of these new residents were slave-owners, and a strong African-American community soon emerged in the region as a result. The village of Geneva was incorporated in 1806 and it became a city in 1897.
Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development.