It was December 1831, when a convention was held in Owego to discuss the creation of a new railroad. Established the following year, the Erie Railroad would stretch nearly 450 miles from the Hudson River, through the Southern Tier, to Lake Erie. In 1849, an excursion train made the first run, travelling 237 miles from New York City to Owego. On its arrival in Owego, the passengers, including several VIP dignitaries, dined at the newly constructed Erie Station.
Several years later the original station was destroyed by fire and a new brick station was rebuilt on the same spot. Today, after serving as a freight and passenger station for 100 years, the building has been renovated and converted into a restaurant. Now known as Grand Central Station, the former Erie Station makes a perfect rest stop for travelers on New York’s Path Through History.
Photos Courtesy of:
Tioga County Historical Society
Newark Valley Depot Museum