A historical marker stands on the banks of the Chenango River, at the site where Stephen Ketchum built a log cabin in 1792. Having traveled from Saratoga County to the Chenango River valley, Ketchum settled on land purchased by the State from the Oneida and Tuscarora people.
A party of French refugees soon joined Ketchum and a settlement was formed. Originally known as “Hornsby,” the town was later renamed “Greene,” in honor of Nathanael Greene, a Continental Army general in the Revolutionary War.
Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development.