In 1797, John Perrin and his wife became the first to settle an area of land northeast of Ithaca. The Perrins built a log cabin and cleared land for others to follow. As the settlement grew, Perrin filled a variety of roles – as the first innkeeper, merchant, brick-maker and distiller in the expanding community. Originally part of the town of Locke, in 1817 a separate town was established and named Groton, a reference to two towns of that name in Connecticut and Massachusetts, from where many of this community’s first settlers came.
Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development.