Toys soldiers have been played with since the time of the Pharaohs, but remained a toy for the wealthy until a new lead casting process revolutionized their production in the 19th century.
In the 1930s, Maurice Manoil and his brother Jack began manufacturing lead soldiers out of their Manhattan factory. The pair soon moved their company to Waverly, New York, where they became the second largest producer of lead figures in the United States.
The Manoil Manufacturing Co. also produced a number of different lead farm and western themed figurines, as well as die cast automobiles. However, the company was never able to transition to making plastic toys, and closed its doors in 1959.