Among the many Iroquois villages destroyed during the 1779 Sullivan-Clinton Campaign was She-que-ga, often referred to by travelers as Catharine’s Town. The village, located on the southern bank of Seneca Lake in the heart of present-day Schuyler County, got the nickname from its leader, Queen Catharine Montour. After the war, an influx of white settlers came to the area and in 1802 the first post office opened. Called Havana in 1828, and incorporated in 1836, the village became a prosperous manufacturing town. In 1895, the village changed its name to Montour Falls, in honor of Queen Catharine.
Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development.
Path Through History: http://paththroughhistory.iloveny.com/
WSKG’s Path Through History: http://www.wskg.org/pth