In 1789, John Stoyell travelled from Connecticut to establish a home in New York. He was offered a gift of land at the southern end of Owasco Lake, on the condition that he use his influence to bring new settlers to the area. With its rich farmland and spectacular natural beauty it wasn’t long before others followed. Originally known as Owasco Flats, the village grew and was later named Moravia – a name which, as historians would later recall, “had no particular significance, but sounded well.”
Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development.
Path Through History: http://paththroughhistory.iloveny.com/
WSKG’s Path Through History: http://www.wskg.org/pth