In 1790, Elisha Wilson purchased land along the east branch of Owego Creek in New York’s Southern Tier. The following year, Wilson, Abraham Brown and John Carpenter left their homes in Stockbridge, Massachusetts, to settle the area. After a month’s journey, they arrived at the site. Log cabins were built, land was cleared, crops were planted – and Wilson, Brown and Carpenter became the first permanent settlers of the area originally known as “Brown’s Settlement” – now known as Newark Valley.
Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development.
Path Through History: http://paththroughhistory.iloveny.com/
WSKG’s Path Through History: http://www.wskg.org/pth