Entering Norwich from the south on Route 12, a roadside historical marker indicates the spot where Avery Power first settled along the Chenango River in 1788. More settlers from Massachusetts and Connecticut quickly followed. They traveled from Albany along the Unadilla River, following marked trees to the Power farm. The area was original known as “Indian Fields”, but five years after Power’s arrival, the town of Norwich was formed – taking its name from Norwich, Connecticut.
Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development.
Path Through History: http://paththroughhistory.iloveny.com/
WSKG’s Path Through History: http://www.wskg.org/pth