In 1870, Sherman Phelps, a successful businessman and banker, built a three-story brick Victorian mansion on Court Street in Binghamton, NY. Phelps would later serve as mayor of Binghamton.
Isaac G. Perry, who later became the chief architect of the State Capital Building in Albany, NY, designed the Phelps mansion. In 1973, the mansion was placed on the National Register of Historic American Buildings. In 2005, the mansion opened to the public as a museum.
Over the years, there have been a number of reports regarding strange happenings at the mansion and there are some who believe that Sherman Phelps himself still oversees his former home.