In 1907 Alonzo Roberson Jr., a local lumber merchant, finally finished construction on his large Italian renaissance revival styled mansion that had taken him 3 years to build. The home, built along the prestigious Front Street/ Riverside Drive area of Binghamton, included an elevator, central heat, combination gas and electric lighting fixtures, and a dumb waiter.
At the time of his death Alonzo willed his home to the city to be used as an educational facility, and in 1954 the mansion became the Roberson Memorial Center. Over the next half century, The Roberson Museum and Science Center has transformed and expanded into a regional educational facility with a planetarium, and both permanent and rotating exhibits including one of the largest model railroad layouts in the region and the popular Home for the holidays display. The mansion has been restored to its early 1900s appearance, and is an essential stop along New York’s Path Through History.
Photos Courtesy of:
The Broome County Historical Society