In 1794, John W. Watkins and several other partners purchased 350,000 acres of land near the outlet of Seneca Lake in what is now Schuyler County. The group was intent on creating a new village at the location, surrounded by the natural beauty of the area. The village was originally called Jefferson in 1842, but became Watkins in 1852, and finally, in 1926, Watkins Glen.
Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development.
Path Through History: http://paththroughhistory.iloveny.com/
WSKG’s Path Through History: http://www.wskg.org/pth