ROCHESTER, NY (WXXI) – The number of COVID-19 hospitalizations and intubations have dropped to new lows. That’s according to figures released by Governor Andrew Cuomo on Saturday who said that hospitalizations dropped to 458, the lowest number since March 16, and intubations dropped to 48, also the lowest number since mid-March.
The state’s infection rate for the coronavirus has been less than 1 percent for 22 straight days. But Cuomo cautioned the pandemic is far from over.
“As the state’s COVID-19 numbers continue to decline, New Yorkers need to stay vigilant and continue wearing masks, social distancing and washing their hands so we can maintain that progress as we move into the fall,” Cuomo said. “Our ability to keep this deadly virus in check will be determined by what each of us does each day and by the capacity of local governments to enforce state guidance.”
Also on Saturday, Monroe County’s Department of Public Health reported that there were 21 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, but no new deaths. The number of deaths so far in the county from the virus stands at 292.