Woodstock Organizers Can Still Hold Festival, But Funding Won’t Return

More

VESTAL, NY (WSKG) — A judge has ruled that Woodstock 50 isn’t technically cancelled, but organizers can go forward without disputed funding.

The judge says the Dentsu Aegis Network can’t unilaterally end Woodstock 50, but it doesn’t have to return near $18 million dollars to the festival fund.

Hip-hop recording artist Common performs at the Woodstock 50 lineup announcement at Electric Lady Studios on Tuesday, March 19, 2019, in New York. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)

Woodstock 50 was supposed to be held in Watkins Glen in August and feature artists like The Killers, Jay-Z and Miley Cyrus.

Dentsu is a financial backer of the project. Earlier this month, it pulled funding for Woodstock 50. Company representatives cited safety concerns and the concert’s ability to live up to the Woodstock name.

Organizer Michael Lang claims Dentsu didn’t have the power to do that.

He’s maintained all along that the concert will still happen. Since the funding was pulled, Watkins Glen officials have been preparing as if the festival won’t go on, but have said they’ll be ready if it does.