Special Everhart Museum Membership Opportunity – One Day Only!

On Thursday, August 29th, the Everhart Museum will be allowing visitors to join or renew an “individual” museum membership and receive “family” membership benefits for a full year. Also, all members will receive an additional 10% off (20% total) in the Museum Store. About the Everhart Museum:
Founded in 1908, the Everhart Museum of Natural History, Science & Art is the largest general museum in Northeastern Pennsylvania. The Everhart Museum, located in Nay Aug Park in Scranton, is a not-for-profit institution dedicated to the collection, care, and display of a diverse array of artifacts, including natural history, science, and fine arts. Through our exhibitions and programs, the Everhart Museum has become an invaluable regional resource for educational and cultural opportunities.


In Ontario County, the Pulteney Associates began a new settlement in 1786 on the former Seneca village of Kandesaga. Named Geneva, the settlement became the headquarters of the New York Genessee Land Company whose purpose was to bring in new settlers from the Northeastern states. Some of these new residents were slave-owners, and a strong African-American community soon emerged in the region as a result. The village of Geneva was incorporated in 1806 and it became a city in 1897. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_57TVXW0QFo

Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development.


New Englanders began to settler along the banks of the East Branch of the Delaware River in Delaware County at the time of the American Revolution and the river has played an essential role in the development of the region. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rXBnDGIda0

Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development.


In 1797, John Perrin and his wife became the first to settle an area of land northeast of Ithaca. The Perrins built a log cabin and cleared land for others to follow. As the settlement grew, Perrin filled a variety of roles – as the first innkeeper, merchant, brick-maker and distiller in the expanding community. Originally part of the town of Locke, in 1817 a separate town was established and named Groton, a reference to two towns of that name in Connecticut and Massachusetts, from where many of this community’s first settlers came. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtzl9gIhbdE

Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development.


In 1786, William Cooper traveled from his home in New Jersey and founded a settlement at the southern end of Otsego Lake. Cooper had purchased 10,000 acres of land near the lake, and within weeks he had sold all the property to eager farmers and settlers. Initially known as the Village of Otsego, in 1812 it was renamed Cooperstown in honor of its founder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzRo_X9_qsQ

Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development.


In 1785, Dr. Platt Townsend, Robert and Gabriel North, William Furman, Joshua Pine and their families, left their homes in Long Island to settle a wilderness area along the West Branch of the Delaware River. The land was part of a large patent granted fifteen years earlier to New York businessman William Walton by King George III. Led by Dr. Townsend, the five families arrived, built log cabins and became the first settlers of what would later be known as “Walton.”

Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development. Links:
Path Through History: http://paththroughhistory.iloveny.com/
WSKG’s Path Through History: http://www.wskg.org/pth