In 1792, Abner Treman was awarded 600 acres of land in New York State for his service in the Revolutionary War. Located on the western rim of the Cayuga Valley, Treman’s parcel had been occupied for centuries by the Haudenosaunee. Abundant with timber and fertile farmland, Treman, his brother-in law John McLallan and their families settled in the area, cleared land, planted crops and built a grist mill. A small community developed and quickly grew. Incorporated in 1872 as “Tremain’s Village,” it was later renamed “Trumansburg.”
Funding provided by a grant from Empire State Development.
Path Through History: https://paththroughhistory.iloveny.com/
WSKG’s Path Through History: https://www.wskg.org/pth