MAKES ABOUT 3 POUNDS
You will need a digital or candy thermometer for this recipe. We developed this recipe using Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows. With this brand, 21 marshmallows yield 5 ounces. Be sure to use evaporated milk here, not sweetened condensed milk. We developed this recipe using Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate
Premium Baking Bar. You can substitute semisweet chocolate bars or bars labeled “dark chocolate,” but we do not recommend using
chocolate that’s 85 percent cacao or higher. If you’re using an electric stove, the mixture will likely take longer than 5 minutes to reach 234 degrees in step 2.
3 cups packed (21 ounces) light brown sugar
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
5 ounces large marshmallows (about 3 cups)
11/2 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped coarse (optional)
1. Make foil sling for 8-inch square baking pan by folding 2 long sheets of aluminum foil so each is 8 inches wide. Lay sheets of foil in pan perpendicular to each other, with extra foil hanging over edges of pan. Push foil into corners and up sides of pan, smoothing foil flush to pan. Spray foil with vegetable oil spray.
2. Combine sugar, butter, evaporated milk, and salt in large saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture registers 234 degrees, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Off heat, add chocolate and marshmallows and whisk until smooth and all marshmallows are fully melted, about 2 minutes (fudge will thicken to consistency of frosting). Stir in walnuts, if using. Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Let cool completely, about 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
4. Using foil overhang, lift fudge out of pan. Cut into 1-inch cubes. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving. (Fudge can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.)
5. CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT FUDGE: Omit walnuts. Add 1 teaspoon peppermint extract with chocolate and marshmallows in step 3. After transferring fudge to prepared pan, sprinkle with 1⁄4 cup crushed soft peppermint candies before letting fudge cool.
6. CHOCOLATE TOFFEE FUDGE: Omit walnuts. Add 11⁄2 tablespoons instant espresso powder with chocolate and marshmallows in step 3. Stir 1⁄4 cup Heath Toffee Bits into fudge before transferring to prepared pan. After transferring fudge to prepared pan, sprinkle with additional 1⁄4 cup toffee bits before letting fudge cool.
Photo Credit: Cook’s Country
You can watch past episodes of Cook’s Country on WSKG Passport.
For more information about WSKG Passport, please visit our support page.
To see other recipes from Cook’s Country and other shows, visit Cooking with WSKG.